2 bonesless, skinless grilled, shredded chicken breast (optional)
1 box frozen spinach, defrosted
3 C frozen cut broccoli
1 lb. penne or corkscrew whole wheat pasta
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 1/2 milk
1 C smoked gouda, grated
1 C sharp cheddar, grated
1 C cheddar, grated
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta el dente. Strain and set aside
2. While pasta cooks, steam broccoli for 3 minutes. Place cooked broccoli in the food processor and pulse until chopped into small pieces.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan and add flour whisking for 1 minute. Then add the milk and let thicken, whisking occasionally for 5 minutes. Add pepper, nutmeg and cheese (Reserving some cheese to sprinkle on top). Stir until cheese is well melted.
4. Add pasta to the cheese sauce, incorporate well, then add spinach, broccoli and chicken.
5. Place pasta mix into a 9x13 dish and sprinkle remaining cheese ontop. Set oven to broil on high and cook until bubbly and brown on top.
(inspired by Mac-n-Spin-occolini Bake, by Rachel Ray)