1 1/2 lb ground turkey or beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 tsp pepper
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 C mushrooms, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1/8 C red wine vinegar
1/8 C worcestershire sauce
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 C uncooked whole wheat mini shells
1 1/2 C cauliflower, coarsely chopped
2 C light cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Brown meat, garlic and cayenne pepper in a large skillet. When browned add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to soften.
3. Mix together sugar, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce and add to the meat mix. Simmer on medium-low to thicken sauce for 5-7 minutes
4. When the sauce thickens cook the pasta al dente for 7 minutes. When there is 5 minutes remaining, add cauliflower.
5. Strain pasta and mix with meat. Stir to combine well. Place 1/2 the mixture in a greased 9x13 pan. Cover with 1/2 the cheese and repeat.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
(inspired by Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese Casserole, by Rachel Ray)